(generic for Lipitor)
- Lowers the total cholesterol and LDL in the liver and blood1,2,3
- Improves the “good” cholesterol (HDL)4,5,6
- Reduces the risk for strokes, heart attacks, and plaque build-up in the arteries7,8,9
- One of the most effective statins compared to the other commonly prescribed statins10,11,12, 15
Background & History
Atorvastatin was originally synthesized in 1985 by Dr. Bruce Roth and approved by the FDA in 1996. It is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines and in n 2020, it was the most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than 114 million prescriptions. It is a part of a class of drugs known as “statins” which work by reducing the amount of cholesterol made by the liver ultimately reducing the risk of developing heart disease.
Taking the Medication and Side Effects
Atorvastatin is an oral tablet that is taken once daily. It will take approximately 4-6 weeks for cholesterol levels to improve. It is recommended to take a cholesterol test (aka lipid panel) before and 3-6 months after taking the medication to see the benefits. It is also recommended to take atorvastatin with CoQ10 to reduce any side effects The most common side effects are muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, nausea, indigestion and most of the side effects are mild and go away as your body adjusts to the medication. A medication guide and pharmacy consultation will be provided upon receiving this medication.
(generic for Micardis)
- Lowers blood pressure1,2,3,9
- Relaxes blood vessels to improve blood flow4,5,6
- May increase overall endurance8,9,14,15
- Improves metabolic health11
- Supports healthy LDL and HDL levels21,22,23
- May lower diabetes risk when taken at bedtime16,17,18
- Supports metabolic health in people with diabetes22,23,24
- Reduces risk of dementia and cognitive impairment10,12, 22
Background & History
Telmisartan came into medical use in 1999 and is a commonly prescribed drug to this day. It works by blocking the effects of angiotensin II, a substance in the body that causes blood vessels to tighten. As a result, telmisartan relaxes the blood vessels, which lowers blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
Taking the Medication and Side Effects
Telmisartan is an oral tablet that is taken once daily. It takes about 2-4 weeks to experience the benefits of telmisartan for lowering blood pressure and improving blood flow. The most common side effects are lightheadedness and dizziness so remember to get up slowly when coming from a sitting or lying position. Most side effects are mild and go away as your body adjusts to the medication. A medication guide and pharmacy consultation will be provided upon receiving this medication.
(1) Statins: Are these cholesterol-lowering drugs right for you?. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772.
(2) Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines | cdc.gov. https://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/treating_cholesterol.htm.
(3) Effect of atorvastatin on cholesterol | Cochrane. https://www.cochrane.org/CD008226/HTN_effect-atorvastatin-cholesterol.
(4) Lipid lowering efficacy of atorvastatin – PubMed. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23235655/.
(5) Atorvastatin increases HDL cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic … – PubMed. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12125226/.
(6) Atorvastatin: Side effects, dosage, uses, and more – Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/atorvastatin-oral-tablet.
(7) Statins: Types, Uses & Side Effects – Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/22282-statins.
(8) How Statin Drugs Protect the Heart | Johns Hopkins Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/how-statin-drugs-protect-the-heart.
(9) High-Dose Atorvastatin after Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa061894.
(10) Reduction of LDL Cholesterol by 25% to 60% in Patients With Primary …. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.ATV.15.5.678.
(11) Atorvastatin – StatPearls – NCBI Bookshelf. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430779/.
(12) HDL cholesterol: How to boost your ‘good’ cholesterol. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/hdl-cholesterol/art-20046388.
(13) Cholesterol medications: Consider the options – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-medications/art-20050958.
(14) Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statin-side-effects/art-20046013.
(15) Comparisons of effects of statins (atorvastatin, fluvastatin …. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14697462/.
(16) Comparison of efficacy, safety, and cost-effectiveness of various …. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912814/.
(17) Is atorvastatin superior to other statins? Analysis of the clinical …. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18473965/.
(18) Lovastatin vs. atorvastatin: Differences, similarities, and which one ….
(19) Cholesterol medications: Consider the options -MayoClinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-medications/art-20050958.
(1) Blood pressure-lowering effect of telmisartan compared to lo … – LWW. https://journals.lww.com/jfmpc/Fulltext/2022/10000/Blood_pressure_lowering_effect_of_telmisartan.54.aspx.
(2) Telmisartan Inhibits Nitric Oxide Production and Vessel Relaxation via …. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6823522/.
(3) Angiotensin II receptor blocker telmisartan enhances running endurance …. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3823201/.
(4) Metabolic effect of telmisartan and losartan in hypertensive patients …. https://cardiab.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2840-4-6.
(5) Telmisartan and Irbesartan Therapy in Type 2 Diabetic Patients … – Nature. https://www.nature.com/articles/hr2006119.
(6) Telmisartan use and risk of dementia in type 2 diabetes patients with …. https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1003707.
(7) Nonhypotensive Dose of Telmisartan Attenuates Cognitive Impairment …. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.583948.
(8) BLOOD PRESSURE LOWERING EFFICACY OF TELMISARTAN, AZILSARTAN … – LWW. https://journals.lww.com/jhypertension/Abstract/2019/07001/BLOOD_PRESSURE_LOWERING_EFFICACY_OF_TELMISARTAN,.541.aspx.
(9) Telmisartan Lowers Elevated Blood Pressure in Psoriatic Mice … – MDPI. https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/17/4261.
(10) Telmisartan use and risk of dementia in type 2 diabetes patients … – PLOS. https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1003707&type=printable.
(11) Telmisartan – More than just a blood pressure medication. https://bs-board.org/telmisartan-more-than-just-a-blood-pressure-medication/.
(12) Telmisartan and Rosuvastatin Synergistically Ameliorate Dementia and …. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnagi.2020.00154/full.
(13) Telmisartan and Rosuvastatin Synergistically Ameliorate Dementia and …. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342046873_Telmisartan_and_Rosuvastatin_Synergistically_Ameliorate_Dementia_and_Cognitive_Impairment_in_Older_Hypertensive_Patients_With_Apolipoprotein_E_Genotype.
(14) Angiotensin II receptor blocker telmisartan enhances running endurance …. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20477906/.
(15) Angiotensin II receptor blocker telmisartan enhances running endurance …. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44606953_Angiotensin_II_receptor_blocker_telmisartan_enhances_running_endurance_of_skeletal_muscle_through_activation_of_the_PPAR-dAMPK_pathway.
(16) Telmisartan as a metabolic sartan: the first meta-analysis of … – PubMed. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23523138/.
(17) Effect of telmisartan on blood pressure in patients of type 2 diabetes …. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6176690/.
(18) (PDF) Metabolic effect of telmisartan and losartan in hypertensive …. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7848281_Metabolic_effect_of_telmisartan_and_losartan_in_hypertensive_patients_with_metabolic_syndrome.
(19) (PDF) Telmisartan is effective to ameliorate metabolic … – ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329476876_Telmisartan_is_effective_to_ameliorate_metabolic_syndrome_in_rat_model_-_A_preclinical_report.
(20) Is a High HDL-Cholesterol Level Always Beneficial? – PMC. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8466913/.
(21) Telmisartan and Ldl/hdl ratio increased – a phase IV … – eHealthMe. https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/telmisartan/ldl-hdl-ratio-increased/.
(22) Effects of telmisartan on glucose levels in people at high risk for …. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21788624/.
(23) Comparison of the Efficacy of Morning Versus Evening Administration of …. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.107.094235.
(24) Telmisartan: Side effects, dosage, uses, and more – Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/telmisartan-oral-tablet.
(25) Effects of Telmisartan on Glucose Levels in People at High Risk for …. https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/34/9/1902/38628/Effects-of-Telmisartan-on-Glucose-Levels-in-People.